Thursday, April 11, 2013

Seize The Nap

When Lee naps, it's go-time. For the record, he isn't napping now; he's being fantastically wonderful, squirming and smiling approvingly, as if to say "you go, Mama, write your lil' heart out". I swear he knows I'm about to begin my first ever blog-post, and he likes it. He hasn't got the same tolerance for me taking a pee-break, but if I can get this post off the ground, well, I consider myself blessed (*cooing with delight*).

Whoever said "sleep when the baby sleeps", was cut off before ending the statement with: "after you've finished everything else", misleading millions of women, everywhere. I'm a firm believer in sleeping when you are tired exhausted dead (kidding!). Sure, rest is fundamental, but it isn't valued much in our society, so we're all working it, overtime, especially mamas.

Whether it's flossing, bathing, eating, emailing, cleaning, endless laundry-doing, WRITING... it's all happening (or at least started) during a Lee nap. I like to call it "napthyme" just because. Sometimes I really do sleep when he is sleeping, it is just... there are higher items on my to-do list (you know, that dreadful post-it over there that isn't even sticky anymore it's so old, staring me down menacingly?).

He is 3.5 months old and I've painted my nails(!). Lacquering was, in the moment, more desirable than sleep, what can I say? Blame it on the hormones. Sometimes I really, really watch an episode of Mad Men, all the way through, or I cook fun vegan concoctions--"intuitive cooking", I call it.

So, here's to the nap, something I cherish. Whether joining in the slumber or not, I am grateful, I love my Lee, this little miracle that came through me, and I SEIZE the nap! Then, when stopped dead in my tracks sometime later (anywhere from 5 minutes to 2.5 hours--c'mon 2.5!), I know I'll have a lighter heart with which to tend le bebe.
<3





1 comment: